Results for 2012
The following 17 competitors have been selected to take part in Round 2:
- Matthew Bannatyne (Westminster School SW1P 3PF)
- Iliya Buyanovsky (King’s College School SW19 4TT) [unable to attend]
- Amschel de Rothschild (Winchester College SO23 9NA)
- Melanie Duncan (James Allen’s Girls’ School SE28 8TE)
- Omri Faraggi (Abingdon School OX14 1DE)
- Claire Farey (Lancaster Girls’ Grammar School LA1 1SF)
- Anna Grace (St Bede’s College Manchester M16 8HX)
- Jessica Hao* (Westminster School SW1P 3PF)
- Ron Lam (Lancing College BN15 0RW)
- Baichuan Li (Highgate School N6 4AY)
- Shreya Nanda* (The Latymer School N9 9TN, sitting at City of London School for Girls EC2Y 8BB)
- Lawrence Speelman (University College School NW3 6XH)
- Sam Sykes (King’s College School SW19 4TT) [unable to attend]
- Theo Tindall (Westminster School SW1P 3PF)
- Galadriel von Mecklenburg (Eton College SL4 6DW) [unable to attend]
- Oliver Waldron (Richard Huish College TA1 3DZ)
- Tom White (Winchester College SO23 9NA)
(*: Jessica and Shreya both took part in Round 2 in 2011, and Jesssica was a member of the UK team at the International Linguistics Olympiad.)
Award certificates are based directly on Round 1 marks as follows:
- Gold: 67 competitors who scored 83-95
- Silver: 133 competitors who scored 74-82
- Bronze: 210 competitors who scored 65-73.
The national profile of Round 1 results
Click here for an analysis by Martin Edwardes, based on the figures as they stood in mid-March. Since then he has received a few more Foundation and Intermediate results which may eventually be incorporated into a revised version of this paper; but further results are unlikely to change the overall picture.
Round 2 results
Round 2, hosted by the University of York (to whom we are very grateful), brought together fourteen winners of Round 1 (listed above) who underwent intensive training and a very tough test, which they all coped with really well. Here’s a picture of them all, courtesy of our local organiser, Sam Hellmuth:
Back row. Matthew, Omri, Ron, Amschel
Row 2. Tom, Claire, Baichuan, Theo
Row 3. Anna, Melanie, Jessica, Shreya
Row 4. Oliver
Row 5. Lawrence
However, only four of them can represent the UK at the International Linguistics Olympiad (in Ljubljana, Slovenia, in July):
- Melanie Duncan (James Allen’s Girls’ School)
- Omri Faraggi (Abingdon School)
- Baichuan Li (Highgate School)
- Tom White (Winchester College)
Congratulations to all of them, and we wish them luck at the IOL!
Announced on 3 August 2012. CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL!
- Melanie Duncan (James Allen’s Girls’ School): Bronze
- Omri Faraggi (Abingdon School): Bronze
- Baichuan Li (Highgate School): Bronze
- Tom White (Winchester College): Silver
The team will want to share any credit with the linguistics students at Edinburgh University who provided intensive tutorial training during June and July. The tutors are listed here:
Aara Cleghorn, Amy Goodwin Davies, Catriona Fraser, David Arnold, George Brown, Laura Tomlinson, Pippa Shoemark, Shyla Hossain
Some pictures (from Maria Rubinstein) of Ljubljana and the competitors and jury.
Some more pictures (from Ksenia Gilyarova) of Ljubljana and the competitors and jury (some with names attached!).
Some more pictures (from the official website for IOL2012) of our team (and others) working hard and having fun.