last changed: 17 May 2010
UK Linguistics Olympiad 2009
The following schools took part in the 2009 competition as guests of the All-Ireland Linguistics Olympiad:
- Manchester Grammar School (seven teams from Year 12 and one from Year 13)
- Downlands Community School, Hassocks, West Sussex (three teams from Year 10 and Year 11)
- the individual test
- the team test
ILO sponsor and UK team
- The Philological Society sponsored the UK team to attend the International Olympiad in Wraclaw with a subsidy of one thousand pounds for travel expenses.
- The winning UK team was the Year 13 team from Manchester Grammar School: Ben Miller, Ben Caller, Adam King, Alex Sheppard.
- ILO results. The UK team did extremely well considering their lack of experience of the ILO and the very short time they had to prepare:
- the team came ‘about fifth’ out of 23 (an unofficial result since only the first three teams were officially announced: 1 USA , 2 Korea, 3 Russia/Moscow)
- one individual, Ben Caller, won a Bronze Medal in the individual competion.
- all the team greatly enjoyed meeting their peers from 20 other countries.
- We issued a press-release on 6 August 2009.