How to prepare for Round 2
If you’re selected for Round 2, check the Round 2 page for the current year for practical details about what to expect; and find out something about linguistics. Here are some suggestions:
- Work through at least some of the training material by Simi Hellsten (UKLO winner of Gold or Silver, 2017, 2018, 2019).
- Read and think about How to write an explanation, by Simi Hellsten
- Look up ‘Linguistics’ on Wikipedia and browse through some of the articles about the subject on a professional website such as that of the Linguistic Society of America.
- Try some of the word puzzles in Alex Bellos’s books:
- The Language Lover’s Puzzle Book
- So you think you’ve got problems (just one chapter on language)
- Watch some videos made by a past champion, Neema Kotonya, about how to solve some past IOL problems: