Some schools offer pupils some training before they take the Round 1 test. Here’s some training material that you might like to consider for use with pupils, or to recommend for self-study. The format varies between .docx and Powerpoint, with or without audio commentary.
- (Word) Self-study training material on number systems, by Simi Hellsten and Graeme Trousdale:
- (Powerpoint) A number of shows by Babette Newsome produced for her school’s Linguistics Club
- (Powerpoint) A show by Dick Hudson, taking you through three problems of increasing difficulty: ‘The Linguistics Olympiad – how to succeed’.
- (Powerpoint) An introductory show used by Louis Blois with his English Language students: ‘A is for Apple, Arbitrariness and Ox’
- (Powerpoint) A follow-up show used by Louis Blois: ‘L is for Linguistic Methods (and lions)’ This show discusses a Greek problem in a separate file.
If you’re more ambitious, check out the training material for those preparing for Round 2.